Dating Genesis, Madai & Japheth

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Sun Dec 5 16:04:02 EST 1999

An observation on an observation:
> Just a few more points concerning your "A rebuttal to Peter Kirk's
> observations":
>
> <snip>
>
> WM: Does the order of names in Genesis automatically mean the first
> name is always the first born or is this an assumption on your part ?
>
> PK: Well, it suggests that the author wanted to present them in some
> sort of order of importance even if not literally intended as order of
> birth. On your theory I would expect to see Madai at the head of the
> list, as the first named son of Japheth.

As far as I know, name lists like this list in order of birth.  In those
rare instances when they're listed out of order it is indicated, e.g.
Jacob/Esau and Manasseh/Ephraim, so Peter's observation seems
to accord with the general pattern of the biblical text.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
                                   Psalm 86:11