Sabbath Origins (Stephen)

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Sun Dec 5 16:54:50 EST 1999

Not true. If I say that "Friday is the Germanic word for the fifth day
of the week", I don't exclude English, because English is a Germanic
language, and this word (in slightly different forms) is common to the
Germanic languages. Language names can be generic, or used
generically, to cover all of the languages in a group of related
languages. There is no doubt that Hebrew is a language related to
Syriac/Aramaic or perhaps counted in the group of languages spoken in
Syria.