Genesis 1 & 2 (trying again)

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Sat Dec 4 15:58:48 EST 1999

I don't accept the "miraculously" here. If anyone plants trees in a
well-watered place, they will grow. We can say that God caused them to
grow, but we would not normally describe the process as miraculous. As
for the initial planting, the text certainly doesn't make it clear
that anything other than the natural processes (seeds carried by
birds, the wind etc) was involved here. All over the world, where
there is suitable climate, soil, water etc fruit and other trees grow
abundantly, in God's providence, and that is what I see happening
here.