[Fwd: Sabbath Origins]

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Fri Dec 3 20:53:07 EST 1999

But in the same verse (Lev 23:39) the 22nd day of the month is also
called a sabbath (actually, $AB.FTOWN, a different but obviously
related word). This would fit the idea of each of the four phases of
the moon in a lunar calendar being counted as a sabbath, with seven
day intervals (but presumably also occasional hiatuses in the seven
day cycle).

I think the texts which everyone but you seems to consider relatively
old, e.g. Exodus 21-23, point to a lunar calendar being used in early
Israel, perhaps temporarily eclipsed by a solar calendar in Persian
times and then reintroduced. Of course the Hosea etc passages about
new moon festivals presuppose a lunar calendar; and it was widespread
in the ancient Near East, as is shown by the very quotations you cite
here. So I am not sure where you are going with this calendar point.
Both a full moon = fifteenth day of the lunar month sabbath and a
seven day cycle sabbath are linked to the lunar calendar.