Sabbaths

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Thu Dec 2 20:13:31 EST 1999

Well, I accept that you have made a good case for dating Chronicles no
sooner than around 400 BCE from the number of generations of the
Davidic line given (also not much later, for if later why not more
generations?) You are also on reasonable grounds in dating it later
than the books it epitomises.

The circularity I was looking at was at your dating Chronicles in the
Hasmonean period 250 years later, and linking that to your theory of
the origin of the Sabbath. Do you have any evidence for such a dating
(rather than lack of evidence for other dating) independent of your
Sabbath theory? Or for that matter for a similar dating of any of the
material which mentions the seventh day sabbath such as the other
references I quoted? If so, please tell me. If you have no such
evidence, your argument that mention of the Sabbath implies a
Hasmonean date is circular, simply because you have failed to
demonstrate any link between mention of the Sabbath and the Hasmonean
period, but merely surmised this from your understanding of 1
Maccabees.

See also some a further comment below.