Psa 16:10; chasideycha

Numberup at worldnet.att.net Numberup at worldnet.att.net
Thu Dec 2 12:16:30 EST 1999

I have two copies of the standard (Ben Asher) text used by Jewish translations which
have the extra yod, ("chasideykha") but with the note that it should be read without
it ("chasidkha").  These two texts are found in "Tehillim," published by Mesorah
Publications, and "The Soncino Books of the Bible: The Psalms."  In both instances,
these Jewish translators followed the singular reading and translated "Your devout
one" and "Thy godly one," respectively.

I believe the Ben Asher text dates from the 10th century, C.E., but every modern
Jewish translation I have  translates in the singular, "chasidkha."  It is also
translated as a singular in the pre-Christian version produced by Jews in the 2nd
century BCE, the Greek Septuagint, which has "ton hosion," Your holy/loyal one."

Solomon Landers
Memra Institute for Biblical Research
http://www.memrain.org