Genesis 1 & 2

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Wed Dec 1 19:43:08 EST 1999

Dear Ben,

This is an interesting speculation. I was also fascinated by Rohl's
"Legend", but again had to take much of it as speculation. But I'm not
quite sure how your theory ties in with 2:7. Are you suggesting that
this second Adam (I suppose that makes Jesus the third Adam? ;-) was a
new creation from dust, not related to the earlier hunter-gatherers
(actually just gatherers, nothing is said about hunting)? Or was he
simply a former hunter-gatherer who developed a more complex culture?
Or a former hunter-gatherer to whom God gave some extra capabilities?
And then exactly which new aspects of neolithic culture do you find in
Genesis 2?

Then we have to be a bit careful. For hunter-gatherers did not die
out, they are still with us today (though mostly forced to abandon
their traditional lifestyles), especially in Australia, southern
Africa and Papua New Guinea. I hope you would not want to suggest that
these peoples are in any way sub-human. Of course we run into problems
with worldwide floods if you try to follow the text too closely, for
the author of Genesis does not allow for any pre-second Adam man to
survive the flood.

Thank you also for putting forward views similar to mine on the
documentary hypothesis. Perhaps that is the middle wall of division
between us who don't have Ph.D's and the rest of the list?

Peter Kirk

PS to Jonathan: Thank you also for what you wrote. I don't remember
seeing your "post about the possibility of supposedly older OT books
written in Late Biblical Hebrew being late translations of older
works". Did this actually appear on the list? Maybe I missed it
because of some problems with my E-mail a week or two ago. I would be
grateful to receive a copy, and will try to make a comment.