Kinsman-redeemer

Jim West jwest at Highland.Net
Wed Aug 25 15:31:25 EDT 1999

At 12:02 PM 8/25/99 -0700, you wrote:
>GDay all,
>
>What do people think of the translation of go'el in Ruth as
>kinsman-redeemer? What are the arguments fro and against this, and what are
>other options? Is perhaps "kinsman" a simpler alternative? Thanks for your
>opinions.

Matt,

I have always liked to translate it with "rescuer".  Of course one always
has to fill that out a bit-- for instance in Ruth Boaz is the "rescuer" of
Ruth and her mother in law.  Rescuing them from poverty and simultaneously
providing them with a future.
I dont think too many readers of the Bible get the meaning when we talk
about a "kinsman-reddemer".

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD