Biblical Hebrew Kittel, Hoffer & Wright

Chalomi Balaylah chalomi at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 24 13:49:52 EDT 1999

Hi,

I just joined this list via an internet link.  I see that this is a
University based e-mail list.  I hope there's no problem that I'm just a
non-college person living in Los Angeles who loves Hebrew and is attempting
to read the Hebrew Bible.

Just a little background about myself.  I discovered the Hebrew alphabet in
an American dictionary, back in 1977 and fell in love with it and began
teaching myself Hebrew.  I did this for a couple of years before my interest
wandered to other things.  I really enjoyed learning it and was very good at
it.  At the time it came very easy for me, although I never became fluent.

Anyway, a few months ago, I was inspired to get back into learning Hebrew
and I do have several different books including the 'Biblical Hebrew, a Text
and Workbook' that you mentioned.  I'm in a situation where I already know a
lot of what's in there, but I bought it to refresh myself specifically on
Biblical Hebrew since I'm planning on reading the Hebrew Bible from the
beginning starting next month.  The book is definitely set up in a different
way than what I'm used to.  I've read through chapter 9 and so far they
haven't given any full sentences, only phrases, and they focus a lot on the
dageshes, and their purposes and not enough on the words themselves and
sentence structure.  To be honest with you if I didn't already know a lot
about the language, I would find it to be a bit confusing :) The first books
I ever found on biblical Hebrew back in 1977 seemed to do a simpler job of
explaining the basic structure of the language.  But those were library
books, so I don't have them or even remember who they were written by or
their titles.

I'm interested in hearing about why the rest of you are on this list.  Are
you teachers, students, or just people who love the language as I do?

Shalom,

Chalomi