Would you agree with this statement?

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Mon Aug 23 16:39:47 EDT 1999

While rereading F. I. Andersen, "The Sentence in Biblical Hebrew,"
I came across the following statement:

qum <A> qax 'et-'ishteka, Get up: take your wife! (Ge 19:15)

[Note that I have adapted some of his notation, and the <A>
indicates apposition.]

Of this passage he says

"The first verb becomes semantically empty, functioning merely as
a hortatory particle."  (p.56)

I'm interested in what the rest of you think of this statement.  I
wonder, based in part on Jonah 1:1ff where YHWH tells Jonah to
"get up, go to Nineveh" whereas Jonah "got up and ran away."  It
seems to me that QUM there serves a definite rhetorical function
producing a certain irony.  However, the Genesis passage
Andersen mentions may be different.  Opinions?

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"Oh, no!  They've all become giant Swiss lederhosen-clad
dancing yodelers!"  "Talk about unpredictable!" - P&B