The "times" of Isaiah

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Fri Aug 20 22:04:44 EDT 1999

Dear Rolf,

I don't have time to look at all of this now. But let's look at your
supposedly obvious examples that the YIQTOL of )MR has future meaning.
For a start, by your own methodology they do not, they merely have a
future pragmatic context. There is in fact nothing to show that there
is any time-related component to their meaning. Some of them seem to
be primarily modal rather than future anyway.

But how can you possibly make the logical jump from "YIQTOL of )MR has
future meaning" to "QATAL of )MR does not have future meaning"? This
seems to me totally logically fallacious, at the very most a rather
weak possibility which you have elsewhere taken as a major support for
your theory. Or have I missed something?