Dan 7:14 , 27

Numberup at worldnet.att.net Numberup at worldnet.att.net
Thu Aug 19 11:43:54 EDT 1999

Brown-Driver-Briggs-Gesenius define P:LAX (PELACH) as "pay reverence to (a deity);  to
serve (in general?)."  Similarly, Alger Johns has "to serve; worship (God)."

In Targum Onqelos (Onkelos), the word abounds as a translation of (FBAD  ('ABAD), and
like that Hebrew word appears to mean "worship" when directed to God, but basically
"service" or "homage" when directed to humans.  For example, Onqelos uses it at Exodus
14:12, "we will serve the Egyptians" (niflach yat mitsra'ey) and at Deuteronomy 28:48,
"you will serve your enemies" ("tiflach...").

Solomon Landers
Memra Institute for Biblical Research
http://www.memrain.org