The form of weqatal (really wayyiqtol)

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Mon Aug 16 21:48:11 EDT 1999

Dave,

If you (like me) are not a phonologist, you cannot simply ignore the
results of phonological analysis, which seem to show that your
explanation of wayyiqtol does not work, however many other
non-phonologists may support you. In your latest posting you wrote,
"nothing in my syntactic approach rises or falls on the phonological
part". Unfortunately this is not true. If Henry's results mean what
they appear to, your approach falls because its underlying phonological
foundation falls.

Suppose you had some proposal for some new mechanical invention. You
can demonstrate a small-scale prototype, and you can even find a major
potential customer who says that your invention has "the potential to
revolutionize life as we know it". But then a physicist tells you that
he can prove that your invention can never work at full scale because
it violates a fundamental law of physics. What do you do, if you are
not a physicist yourself? I think you would be well advised to at
least check out what the one physicist says with other experts in the
field before investing in large scale manufacture.

So I suggest that you check out with other phonologists whether
Henry's objections are really as fatal as they appear to be to your
theory, rather than rely on good recommendations from other
non-phonologists.