The "times" of Isaiah

Numberup at worldnet.att.net Numberup at worldnet.att.net
Tue Aug 17 11:24:44 EDT 1999

Though I also would normally translate the relevant verses in Isaiah 44 as, "Thus/This
said/has said YHWH," I am noting with interest the points in favor of "Thus SAYS YHWH"
in these instances.  I wonder if  Scottish translator Dr. James Moffatt had similar
thoughts in mind when he rendered this Hebrew construction in Isaiah 44 as  "Here IS
the promise of the Eternal" instead of "Thus said YHWH," and similarly: "Here IS the
word of the Eternal," "The word of the Eternal is...," "For this IS the message of the
Eternal," etc.  (The Bible, A New Translation, by James Moffatt, D.D., D.Litt., M.A.
(Oxon), 1935 with revisions to 1954)

Solomon Landers
Memra Institute for Biblical Research
http://www.memrain.org