Assyrian Hebrew?

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Wed Aug 11 16:59:00 EDT 1999

The trouble with giving any English transcriptions is that different
English pronunciations vary as much as different Hebrew, Arabic, Farsi
etc. ones. I cannot attempt to reproduce the southern accent you must
be used to. It is of course such regional variation which is both the
starting point and the raw material for changes in vowel quality.

So let's try with my "standard" British English. In this, I would
transcribe the Arabic Salaam as "Salahm". I think the standard Farsi
version would be more like "Salawm", not "Salohm". But your Afghan
friend's pronunciation might be significantly different again, also
depending on how he learned Farsi and Arabic.

I would guess that the Hebrew, originally "Shalahm", became more like
"Shalawm" in later Biblical times, and perhaps changed to more like
"Shalohm" to keep the distinction when qamets (or at least
qamets-hatuph) came to be pronounced more like "aw".

As for your last paragraph, well, an awful lot of the Israelites have
already gathered in the state of Israel and must have had just the
problem you mentioned. Maybe someone living there can comment on how
this problem has been solved. But remember that those who gathered
were already speaking many other languages as their mother tongues and
knew Hebrew, if at all, as a religious language only, so the
difference was not as great as you say. I guess there must be a bigger
problem every year at Mecca as Arabs from all over the Arab world
gather and discover that their different varieties of Arabic are far
from mutually comprehensible. But then neither you nor I would be
allowed there to witness this confusion.