Assyrian Hebrew?

Numberup at worldnet.att.net Numberup at worldnet.att.net
Mon Aug 9 08:20:30 EDT 1999

It would be more accurate to call "Syriac" a dialect of Aramaic, East Aramaic to be
exact.  There is an excellent disquisition on Aramaic in The Anchor Bible Dictionary,
volume 4.

Some Aramaic speakers refer to themselves as "Ashuri" or Assyrian, having descended
from people who once lived in ancient Assyria, Babylon, or Persia, and that dialect is
preserved in some of the liturgy of the Assyrian (Catholic Church of the East)
religion. (See the Introduction to George Lamsa's Peshitta translation of the Bible.)

Solomon Landers
Memra Institute for Biblical Research
http://www.memrain.org