maz-zot `asita

peter_kirk at sil.org peter_kirk at sil.org
Thu Aug 5 11:25:04 EDT 1999

Shalom to you, but I'm not so sure about these as present and future:

Gen 4:6: "Why has your face fallen (and why is it remaining so)?"

Exo 10:3: "You have refused to humble yourself (and remain in that
state of refusal), until when will you continue in this state?", or
"Until when will you have been in the state of refusal to humble
yourself?"

An idiomatic translation in English may use present and future, but
that doesn't mean that the Hebrew usage is present or future, it seems
to refer to the past entry into a state which continues at the
reference time.