Letters in Hebrew

yochanan bitan ButhFam at compuserve.com
Wed Aug 4 11:42:15 EDT 1999

>Is this really true in conversational Ivrit? I am very curious about the
>purity of spoken Hebrew and Biblical Hebrew. How much has really been
>altered and how much of Yiddish, Arabic, or others have been implanted
>into the language. Why is it so difficult to pronounce the Ayeen
>seperately from the Aleph?
it's not difficult to pronounce `ayin differently from alef or Het from
xaf. many little neighborhoods around israel still produce delightful
hebrew, with Het's and `ayin's. you might want to listen to some songs by
eyal golan, an up and coming israeli singer.

tshaHtsaH is slang for a northafrican: e.g. "he speaks with a tshaHtshaHi
accent".

braxot
randall buth