"standard hebrew syntax is verb-initial"

Ian Hutchesson mc2499 at mclink.it
Wed Aug 4 09:25:29 EDT 1999

Vince recently said what is in the subject line in a post. I have a
question for the brave. In Mish(C), 4Q322 Frag 2, we find this line (6) of
the fragment -- so isolated that no context is to be hoped for:

                     ]B HRQNWS MRD [

In three separate publications, Michael Wise has translated this as

                     [..] Hyrcanus rebelled [..]

Can such a translation be justified in any way? Or should it necessarily be

                     [..] Hyrcanus. [..] rebelled [..]
                                   <subj>

Thanks for any thoughts,

Ian