Atonement in the Pentateuch

Jonathan D. Safren yonsaf at beitberl.beitberl.ac.il
Wed Sep 30 14:10:45 EDT 1998

Today's Tiorah portion in the synagogue was Leviticus 16, the Yom Kippur
purgation ritual, and there I found support for the claim that kipper
be'ad means "puify, c;eanse, purge" and not "atone for".
     In :ev. 16: 19. wetihero weqiddesho is used in similar context,
like word sequence, and with the same connotation as wekhipper 'al
haqqodesh in Lev. 16: 16. Also, don't forget Akkadian kuppuru. I don't
have RLA in front of me, but if I remember correctly, it occurs in the
context of the akitu festival. Correct me, please, if I am wrong.
As Y. Kaufmann pointed out long ago, the type of sacrifice known as
hattat, of which several are offered in Lev. 16, has nothing to with
sin, put is instead a "purification offering; Heb. hitte', in the pi'el,
means to purify, and indeed it is used in Modern Hebrew as "disinfect".
Chag Sukkot Sameach, to those of you who celebrate Sukkot.

--
Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies