Atonement in the Pentateuch

Bryan Rocine 596547 at ican.net
Sun Sep 27 21:43:18 EDT 1998

Hi Jonathan,

In legal portions of the Tanakh, _KiP.uRiyM_ seems to be distinct from
_+ at H@:R at H_, the former resulting in the latter, lending credence to what
you
say, Jonathan.  See Lev 16:30 or Num 8:21.   What could result in purity
other than purgation?  Hebrews 9:22 also confirms, giving the early Jewish
Christian interpretation:  "Under the law almost all things are *purified*
with blood."

 2 Chr 30:18 _YHWH Ha+.oB Y:KaP."R B:)aD_  "The good
YHWH pardon it"  is an interesting case.  Hezekiah requests _KiP.uRiyM_
*without* a proper purgation rite.  It seems like the decision of most
English translations to translate the _KPR_ verb using "pardon" is a good
choice.  There's some semantic 'wandering' going on here, right?  How
exceptional is the case?

btw, Here's my face while typing with our new and improved transliteration
scheme:   /8-\
when I proofread this post I caught a number of mistakes in my
transliteration.  Have I been making a mess?  KaP."R me.  I'll keep trying.

Shalom,
Bryan