Atonement in the Pentateuch

Bryan Rocine 596547 at ican.net
Sun Sep 27 16:55:37 EDT 1998

Hi Tony,

Nice question as _YoM HaQQiPuRiyM_ fast approaches.

I'm sure Paul Zellmer's note is helpful to you.  I would just add an
observation.  In your original question you write of atonement "between"
man and man, God and man, etc.  "between" is really not the best
preposition used with _kpr_.  Atonement is not to negotiate.  It is to
pacify or appease.  One atones *for* rather than between.  The atonement
itself, as
Paul has mentioned, is put *upon* rather than *between*.  The atoning
blood, for
example, is put not only upon a sinful people as they approach YHWH to
appease the requirement of YHWH for holiness, but it is also applied to the
articles and buildings that are instrumental in the approach.  I.e., both
the worshipper and his very effort to approach YHWH must be sanctified by
blood to
pacify YHWH.

Questions for the b-hebrewers:  The RSV and KJV translate Lev 8:15
significantly differently.  Which is better?  Is the Heb word _KiPuRiyM_
ever properly rendered "reconcilliation"?

Heb:  WaYQaDD$"Hu  L:KaP"r  (@L at yW
RSV:  "and [he] consecrated it, to make atonement for it."
KJV:  and [he] sanctified it, to make reconciliation upon it.

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor