Literal translation of Dan 11:32

Ben Crick ben.crick at argonet.co.uk
Fri Sep 25 21:26:32 EDT 1998

On Thu 24 Sep 98 (10:29:20), lbr at sprynet.com wrote:
> On 24 Sep 98, at 9:07, Lee R. Martin wrote:
>
> > All references to the subject are plural except for the 3ms
> > pronominal suffix.  Why is it singular?

 ...to which Lewis replied:

> It seemed to me that it is singular because  (aM  -  nation or
> people, is a collective noun, and Hebrew treats singular collective
> nouns as American English does (the company has decided) rather than
> as British English does (the company have decided) - as taking
> singular verbs and pronouns  [snip]

 Dear Lee,

 As this was transferred from the old @virginia List, I must have missed
 the original post?

 Verse 32 would seem to be saying:
 "And those who act wickedly with the covenant will he pervert in intrigue:
 but the people who knows its God will be strong and will do [exploits]".

 The subject of the first clause is the "vile person" of verse 21. If we
 relate this to the time of Antiochus, we can explain it in terms of his
 alliance with certain apostate Jews against the faithful Jews. "And many
 in Israel were strong, and were fortified in themselves, not to eat unclean
 things. And they chose to die, that they might not be defiled with the
 meats, nor profane the holy covenant; and they died" (1 Maccabees 1:62).

 Thus, "the people who knows its God" We`aM YoD`eY 'eLoHaYW are the elect,
 who know their Covenant-keeping God. Such covenant-keeping people, united
 to God by a living faith, will not give way to the flatteries of a vile
 person such as Antiochus Epiphanes. Perhaps the CaSiDiYM are in view here
 (1 Maccabees 6:42; 7:13; 2 Maccabees 14:6); the recipients of the CeSeD
 of their Covenant God.

 ShaLoWM `aLeKa

 Ben
--