Biblical Hebrew Transcription (was: Jeremiah 23:2)

Peter_Kirk at sil.org Peter_Kirk at sil.org
Sat Sep 19 15:00:00 EDT 1998

On further reflection I agree that we should stick to the Michigan
etc. scheme, as being so close to what we were proposing anyway. Use
of parentheses for aleph and ayin avoids some other problems with
quotes, and leaves the single quote available for use as a stress mark
(as stress is a significant factor in Hebrew which is often ignored in
transcription). The only really counter-intuitive point is F for
qamets, but I suppose it is worth getting used to that one for the
convenience of having the text available.

But, saying that, is the Michigan etc text readily available
worldwide? How can I get hold of a copy? Last time I asked I was told
to send a US dollar check to get a diskette by mail. But I do not have
a US dollar checking account (why should I? I am not a US citizen and
have never been to the USA) and "snail mail" takes months to reach me.
I can give a VISA card number valid worldwide (or an SIL account
number) and can receive the text by E-mail, all in less time than it
would take to get the diskette to the next block. Or are the
distributors still living, in Kirk's phrase, "before the dawn of the
Information Age"?