Jeremiah 23:2

RHutchin at aol.com RHutchin at aol.com
Thu Sep 10 19:23:18 EDT 1998

In the following two verses, the same Hebrew word is translated as visiting,
visited, and visit.  Could someone explain this word and why it can be used in
seemingly opposing contexts?

Exodus 20
5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD
thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the
children
unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

Jeremiah 23
2 Therefore thus saith the LORD God of Israel against the pastors that
feed my people; Ye have scattered my flock, and driven them away, and have not
visited them: behold, I will visit upon you the evil of your doings, saith the
LORD.