Translation

TL Phillips tiphillips at InfoAve.Net
Sat Oct 31 00:33:33 EST 1998

Peter_Kirk at SIL.ORG wrote:

> This sounds a great idea in theory but how far do you take it? Idioms
> from the original often just don't communicate properly. I guess )FP
> taken alone doesn't mean "anger" any more than it means "face", and
> )EREK )APPAYIM is just an idiom... but would you really translate (in
> Exodus 34:6 etc) that YHWH has a long nose?! :-)
>
> Peter Kirk

Well, of course, He does have a long nose. But while I admit that the phrase is a
little cumbersome, and remembering I said "[idioms] should be retained **as much as
possible** there can be surely a way to bring out the meaning without divorcing the
original color.

First of all, I am not sure that )eReK )aPPaYiM means "long-nosed" literally  or
otherwise by the context. Emotions can be displayed by the manner of breathing ('np)
and the nose(breather?)/  'p and the speed/length of its breathing  is the indicator.
Can all of that get put in a translation?

YHWH 'El gentle and giving, slow of breaths (or slow of nostrils ; or "easy-breathing"
:-), full of loving-devotion and faithfulness.

Soooo,  maybe this is not as literal as one requires, but it still gives
breathing/nostrils and the correct amount of operation of them to indicate there is no
angry snorting going on, and instead calmness. This at least gives a little more of
what was being said than just "slow to anger." I would like to see xariy 'af brought
across with "burning" breath, or even burning nose/nostrils. You get the idea. We
don't have to break ears, but a little insight to the expression of the authors' world
is nice too.  Shakespeare it ain't, but it ain't Shakespeare or even European. :-)

Now whatever I say about translation must be taken in context of a zillion
translations and translators, and that one that sounds perhaps awkward to
English-speaking ears is no threat. A thought ran through my mind today---there are no
translations, just commentaries. (Two thoughts a day!---B-Hebrew has really helped
me!!!)

Shabbat Shalom,
Peace on you,
Tim