Meaning of Moses name

Noel O'Riordan nor at iol.ie
Wed Oct 28 18:10:30 EST 1998

As a new comer to biblical hebrew I am struck by the similarity between the name Moses and the hebrew verb 'mashah'   which means 'to draw out' or 'to save/rescue'  When the vocalisation is not used the two words are identical in form and I wonder is there some possibility that the name Moses may have some link to this verb or indeed is the verb a possible source for the name.

Could the name Moses be a personification of an ancient hebrew myth of a rescuer, and not one of the more traditional explanations?

I fear that my little theory will crumble when I see the replys to my e-mail but believe me Hebrew is a very rare animal indeed in Ireland and my knowledge is very limited but I hope growing.

Noel O'Riordan.