Fox's first two days

Bryan Rocine 596547 at ican.net
Tue Oct 27 17:57:04 EST 1998

Hi Lewis,

 You wrote:
> > 3  God said: Let there be light!  And there was light.
> > 4  God saw the light: that it was good.
> > God separated the light from the darkeness.
> > 5  God called the light: Day! and the darkness he called: Night!
> > There was setting, there was dawning: one day.
>
> Eliminating all the "ands" is an improvement; but I'm
> curious to know why he didn't stick with evening and
> morning.

 Fox's note goes as follwos:
"setting...dawning: The H terms _erev_ and _boker_ are rather more specific
than the usual 'evening' and 'morning.'  Elsewhere I have used 'sunset' and
'daybreak'; the latter would have clashed with 'day' in these lines"

I would note that Fox tends to prefer a "verbal-sounding" rendition of many
nouns which choice I think imitates the Semitic use verbal roots , e.g. for
_tol:dot_ "begettings," for _(ec had.a(at +ob vara(_ "Tree of Knowing Good
and Evil," for _t.ab:niyt ham.i$:k.an_ the building-pattern of the
Dwelling.

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine