Holek + infinitive

Bryan Rocine 596547 at ican.net
Wed Dec 16 07:08:42 EST 1998

boqer tov, John,

Gen 25:32 is the only example which may be construed as expressing the
immanent future using holek as a sort of auxilliary.  maybe Esau really was
going to go someplace.  any how, the way to express the immanent future in
BH is with the participle, no auxiliary neccessary.  My wife calls,
"Dinner!"  and i reply, "'ani holek!"  we both know it will be a couple
minutes before i break away from writing e-mail.

Shalom,
Bryan

----------
> From: John Ronning <ronning at ilink.nis.za>
> To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew at franklin.oit.unc.edu>
> Subject: Holek + infinitive
> Date: Wednesday, December 16, 1998 5:25 AM
>
> Bryan Rocine wrote:
>
> > holek(or `omed or qarob)-lamed-infinitive is not BH.  it is Modern.
> i'm
> > not saying the construction can't be found with a computer search.
> i'm
> > saying that in BH,  'ani holek ledaber does not mean "i am about to
> speak";
> >  it means "i am going (someplace) in order to speak."
>
> What about Gen 25:32?  'anoki holek lamuth    (found with a human mind
> search).  Where was Esau going to go to die? Or did he need lessons in
> proper BH?
>
> John Ronning
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: 596547 at ican.net