[B-Greek] B-Greek is moving to a phpBB forum

Jonathan Robie jonathan.robie at ibiblio.org
Mon May 30 21:40:01 EDT 2011

Greetings, B-Greek fans!

Since 1992, B-Greek has been a mailing list, serving as the online
community for those who wish to discuss the Greek text of the New
Testament. B-Greek was established by David Marotta at the Center for
Christian Study, an independent Christian ministry at the University
of Virginia.

The current list owner, Jonathan Robie, and the co-chairs Carl Conrad,
Carlton Winbery, and Louis Sorenson have decided it is time to
continue the discussion in a new format: a phpBB forum, which you can
access at the following URLs:

http://ibiblio.org/bgreek/forum/

NOTE:

  If you see memory-related errors, use this URL instead:
  http://www-test.ibiblio.org/bgreek/forum/
  This is a known problem we are still working through.

The forum software also allows a variety of searches, e.g.

* Topics with posts in the last 7 days
* New posts
* Unread posts
* Unanswered posts
* Posts by a particular author

The B-Greek list archives will continue to be available in their
current location. For information on searching the old archives and
the new archives, see:

http://www-test.ibiblio.org/bgreek/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=100

We believe that a forum has important advantages for B-Greek:

* Unicode support (you may still use transliterations if you prefer)

* Automatic threading of discussions

* Separate forums for different interest groups: [1] Koine Greek
  Texts, [2] Greek Language and Logistics, [3] Teaching and Learning
  Greek, [4] Beginners Forum, [5] Software, and several other related
  forums.

* Much better visibility to search engines.

* Much easier administration, which significantly reduces the burden
  on those who run the list.

We will run the B-Greek mailing list and the forum in parallel for
about a month; after that, we will shut off the mailing list software.

Here are some hints for switching to the new forum software:

* Please register, even if you do not intend to post. Registing allows
  you to subscribe to posts in forums that interest you, and to see
  new posts that have been made since you last logged in. Please use a
  variant of your name to register (we do not allow anonymous
  membership, especially for those who post.)

* List policies are posted in the "Policies" forum:

  http://www-test.ibiblio.org/bgreek/forum/viewforum.php?f=38

* As you adjust to the new software, feel free to ask questions in the
  "Questions" forum:

  http://www-test.ibiblio.org/bgreek/forum/viewforum.php?f=39

* The forum software does not send digests. There are three ways to
  see current posts:

  - Using an Atom feed (similar to an RSS feed). For instance, if you
    use Google Mail, follow these instructions to see new posts
    automatically in your email:

    http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=29245

    Use this address for the feed:

    http://ibiblio.org/bgreek/forum/

  - Using "Get New Posts", at the following URL:

    http://www-test.ibiblio.org/bgreek/forum/search.php?search_id=newposts

  - Subscribing to a forum that interests you.

    Click on the "Subscribe forum" icon at the bottom of a page.

  You are automatically subscribed to any thread you post in, so you
  will see responses. You can unsubscribe to the thread at any time.

In addition to changing the software, we have changed the roles
associated with running the forum, and created a larger advisory
board.

We look forward to you ongoing participation in the B-Greek
community. We hope you enjoy the new forum and hope to see your
presence.

Jonathan Robie, B-Greek list owner
Carl Conrad, B-Greek co-chair
Carlton Winbery, B-Greek co-chair
Louis Sorenson, B-Greek co-chair

Mike Aubrey, B-Greek moderator
Stephen Carlson, B-Greek moderator
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, B-Greek moderator
Ken M. Penner, B-Greek moderator
Louis Sorenson, B-Greek moderator

Randall Buth, B-Greek advisory board
Iver Larsen, B-Greek advisory board