[B-Greek] Final move to http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/forum/

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Thu Jun 16 08:24:33 EDT 2011

On Jun 16, 2011, at 12:34 AM, Albert Pietersma wrote:

> I can't help but think that we are trying to fix something that ain't
> broke.
> Al

I would have to disagree with that judgment. The old mailing
list was indeed broke, at least in some respects. While there
were some occasional serious discussions of significant new
questions, much of the discussion in the most recent years was
given over to ongoing rehashing of the same pedagogical
questions: pronunciation, textbooks, teaching methodologies,
etc. Many former regular list-members had abandoned it
because they found the list boring or irrelevant to their own
concerns regarding Biblical Greek language and texts. The
discussion of those pedagogical topics continues apace over
at the new forum, but list-members can ignore what lies out
their own areas of concern. Discussion of Biblical texts now
resides in different sections for those who are still beginners
in the language and those who have a working knowledge
of the language. Many of those who were significant
contributors in past years have returned and are now active
in the new forum. From a personal perspective, I am truly
delighted to see a plurality of good moderators and advisors.

It's true that the new forum is very active and the daily
add-ons to discussions accumulate. But as with many changes
in the way we do things, we make adjustments and, even if
we miss some things of old, we find some gratifications and
utility that more than compensate for any loss -- or so I have
found it to be the case.

You don't have to use Google reader; I happen to get my
RSS feeds in my Apple Mail, just as I got my B-Greek list
messages.

I am sorry to see some old friends opt out of the παλιγγενεσία,
where their counsel will be missed, but change DOES happen.
I'm no spring chicken myself, but as a senior Solon himself
once put it, γηράσκω ἀεὶ πολλὰ διδασκόμενος.

Adieu, mes anciens amis -- au revoir ailleurs!