[B-Greek] Fw: B-Greek Digest, Vol 102, Issue 9 - Unicode fonts

Shirley Rollinson rollinsondr at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 11 16:53:18 EDT 2011

Not all Unicode fonts carry all the characters.
The magic words are "Polytonic Greek Unicode"
(BTW - there's even a Unicode range allocated to Klingon :-) but I haven't gone looking for a font that contains it)

I have a webpage at
http://www.drshirley.org/fonts/polytonic.html
which links to downloads for some of the Unicode fonts which contain polytonic Greek characters - but even at that, be warned - one of them has the breathing the wrong way round on capital rho, and another puts a gap between "capital rho with rough breathing" and the next character.
Some are better for word-processing, others for webpages. Some mess up when converting to .pdf files from .doc format. And probably some will get weird when used for email.
Well - Hector had trouble choosing the right spear didn't he?

I've also had quite good results with Times New Roman Unicode and some of the other Microsoft Unicode fonts.

thank you
Shirley Rollinson