[B-Greek] Unicode Fonts

Nigel Chapman nigel at chapman.id.au
Fri Jun 10 01:12:26 EDT 2011

Hi Jeff,

Unicode fonts don't have to implement all the characters. My experience is
that the following will dependably do so:

SIL Gentium lacks some critical marks if viewing e.g. the SBL Greek NT,
and has no bold face, but it's the most attractive, to my eye.

http://scripts.sil.org/Gentium

For completeness, Cardo, Athena New Unicode or SBLGreek can't be beaten,
though SBL is the least readable by some margin.

http://scholarsfonts.net/cardofnt.html

http://apagreekkeys.org/NAUdownload.html

http://www.sbl-site.org/educational/BiblicalFonts_SBLGreek.aspx

For typesetting, with excellent Bolds and Italics, use the numerous Greek
Font Society faces: e.g. GFS Bodoni and the like.

http://www.greekfontsociety.gr/pages/en_typefaces20th.html

Nigel.

On Fri, June 10, 2011 2:59 pm, Jeffrey T. Requadt wrote:
> Well, that's the kicker. Any Unicode font should be able to see virtually
> all of the Greek characters. But I have had trouble myself when dealing
> with Greek text, either online or in my own research papers. I'm attaching
> a Word document that I'm afraid only Bryant will be able to see since old
> B-Greek doesn't let attachments through (I will try to post it on the
> forum if it's legal to do so). It's a list of different fonts that I have
> on my computer that display the characters to my satisfaction. Also, most
> newer versions of Windows will replace a the font of a certain character
> with another font (usually Tahoma) if that character is not included in
> that font. That's why on the Sinaiticus paragraph (which is an Uncial
> font), many of the characters are in Tahoma instead of Sinaiticus. If you
> are seeing little boxes instead, it's probably an indication that you do
> not have either Tahoma or Arial Unicode MS installed. I know nothing about
> what Unicode fonts come with Macs.
> Jeff Requadt

μινσποÏ
δηναλλααπολογιαναλλααγ

> ανακτησιναλλαφοβοναλλαεπιποθησιναλλαζηλοναλλαεκδικησινπαντισÏ
νεστησατεεαÏ
τοÏ
ςαγν
> οÏ