[B-Greek] 1Thesalonians5:23

nebarry nebarry at verizon.net
Thu Jun 2 11:52:19 EDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: <bgreek at global4.freeserve.co.uk>
To: <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2011 6:56 AM
Subject: [B-Greek] 1Thesalonians5:23

> Author John Crowder has proposed a translation (or perhaps more a
> translation/paraphrase) of 1Thess5:23 as follows:
>
> "And himself, the God of peace, is the one who sets all of you apart
> completely.  Your whole spirit, soul and body is preserved blameless until
> the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.  The one who calls you is faithful,
> and he will preserve you"
>
> Do you think the Greek supports this translation?  It seems to hinge on
> how one treats the aorist optative hAGIASAI (which from Wallace, I believe
> is a voluntative optative - I'm an NT Greek beginner), but I am not sure
> whether it can be pressed this far.  I'd appreciate any comments you may
> have.

Apparently the ability to speak in tounges does not translate to ability in
Greek (pardon the pun).  The Greek does not support this "translation."  As
pointed out, these are optatives, here expressing "wish," and the practical
equivalent of imperatives (Jerome translates with a jussive subjunctive).

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Classics and Bible @ TAA
http://www.theamericanacademy.net