[B-Greek] 1Thessalonians 5:23+24

A. J. Birch AJB1212 at ono.com
Thu Jun 2 11:27:20 EDT 2011

"AUTOS DE hO QEOS THS EIRHNHS hAGIASAI hUMAS hOLOTELEIS, KAI hOLOKLHRON hUMWN TO PNEUMA KAI hH YUCH KAI TO SWMA AMEMPTWS EN THi PAROUSIAi TOU KURIOU hHMWN IHSOU CRISTOU THRHQEIH. PISTOS O KALWN hUMAS, hOS KAI POIHSEI" (1 Thessalonians 5:23+24).

Adrian, I'm certainly not one of the experts here, but here are a few thoughts:

1. It's actually 1 Thess. 5:23+24.

2. As a general comment, I think Crowder's translation is too literal, too word-for-word.

3. I think that "hAGIASAI", optative, as you rightly point out, is far more likely to express a wish or desire than Crowder's indicative here.

4. The same goes for "THRHQEIH".

5. It may be that "until" is okay for "EN" ("EN THi PAROUSIAi..."), but "at" might be more likely.

6. For the last word of v. 24: "POIHSEI", "preserve" seems to me a bit too free - "he will do it."

Andrew J. Birch
Palma de Mallorca, Spain