[B-Greek] The use of πρός in John

Kevin Riley klriley at alphalink.com.au
Wed Jun 1 23:32:50 EDT 2011

Sihler says 'pró' developed from 'pro (or preH3)' meant 'in front of and
facing away from' in Indo-European.  Words do chage meanings over time,
especially if they are given a long time.  The similar form 'antí' from
H2enti means 'in front of and facing'.  I am not sure we could
convincingly argue that the direction someone/something is facing is
inherent in the historical Greek prepositions.

Kevin Riley

BTW, for those who like Sihler, or suspect they might, the book is on
special in OUP's Spring sale.  I tried to resist, I really did, but it
has everything I enjoy in a language book.