[B-Greek] Heb 12:27 METAQESIS

Tom Moore tom at katabiblon.com
Fri Jul 30 01:50:29 EDT 2010

I would agree with Ann Nyland that METAQESIS in Heb. 12:27 is not 'removal.' Rather I would say it is 'displacement' (more specifically, knocking down or felling).

METATIQHMI seems generally to mean to move someone or something out of its established place. In the case of landmarks, to move them out of their rightful place (Dt. 27:17, Prv. 23:10, Hos. 5:10); in the case of Jacob, to transport his body from Egypt to be buried in Shechem (Acts 7:16); in the case of Enoch, to move him from wherever he was on earth to a new place (Heb. 11:5).

In Heb. 12:27, I would think that the things that are being shaken, rather than being removed or taken away or made to disappear, are--like man-made structures in an earthquake (hWS PEPOIHMENWN)--knocked down, felled, and otherwise turned to rubble, which is a form of moving or displacing them from their established places.

Though for a less-literal translation of THN TWN SALEOUMENWN METAQESIN in Heb. 12:27, I like "the impermanence of the things being shaken."

Regards,
Tom Moore