[B-Greek] Heb 12:27 METAQESIS

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Wed Jul 28 19:04:26 EDT 2010

On Jul 28, 2010, at 6:10 PM, Oun Kwon wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 4:44 AM, Carl Conrad <cwconrad2 at mac.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 26, 2010, at 11:11 PM, Oun Kwon wrote:
>>
>>> Heb 12:27
> <clipped>
>> More accurately:
>> Heb 12:27 TO DE ETI hAPAX DHLOI [THN] TWN SALEUOMENWN
>> METAQESIN hWS PEPOIHMENWN, hINA MEINHi TA MH SALEUOMENA.
>>>
>>> Now my question on METAQESIS
>>>
>>> A brief quotation from BDAG on METAQESIS –  p. 639
>>> (1) removal to another place Heb 11:5
>>> (2) change, transformation Heb 7:12; 12:27
>>>
>>> Why have most translations chosen 'removal' on this text? Is it a
>>> matter of exegesis?
>>
>> I think the answer lies in the self-evident contrast between what has
>> happened to TA SALEUOMENA, i.e., METAQESIN, and the
>> expected result of the one last shaking of the earth: the abiding/
>> ongoing presence (MEINHi) of TA MH SALEUOMENA.
>> What is not shaken abides, what is shaken is removed.
>>

>> Carl W. Conrad
>
> (Sorry for a typo in copying the transliterated text.)
>
> As I am down with you, my question needs to be flipped around as a
> lexicographical question:
>
> Why does BDAG cite this Heb 12:27 as an example of (2)?
>
> Source New Testament by Ann Nyland renders it as 'transference', which
> itself is not understandable. She puts a footnote there, saying <not
> 'removal'>.

I can't speak for Ann Nyland; at one point she was a list-member and may still be;
perhaps she'll respond. Nor can I explain BDAG's listing of this under the second
sense. METAQESIS should mean most fundamentallly "transposition" or rearrangement
of elements into a new order -- or perhaps, in this instance, a restoration to the order
of things as created, if that's the sense of hWS PEPOIHMENWN.