[B-Greek] Heb 12:27 METAQESIS

Oun Kwon kwonbbl at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 18:10:54 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 4:44 AM, Carl Conrad <cwconrad2 at mac.com> wrote:

> On Jul 26, 2010, at 11:11 PM, Oun Kwon wrote:
>
> > Heb 12:27
<clipped>
> More accurately:
> Heb 12:27 TO DE ETI hAPAX DHLOI [THN] TWN SALEUOMENWN
> METAQESIN hWS PEPOIHMENWN, hINA MEINHi TA MH SALEUOMENA.
> >
> > Now my question on METAQESIS
> >
> > A brief quotation from BDAG on METAQESIS –  p. 639
> > (1) removal to another place Heb 11:5
> > (2) change, transformation Heb 7:12; 12:27
> >
> > Why have most translations chosen 'removal' on this text? Is it a
> > matter of exegesis?
>
> I think the answer lies in the self-evident contrast between what has
> happened to TA SALEUOMENA, i.e., METAQESIN, and the
> expected result of the one last shaking of the earth: the abiding/
> ongoing presence (MEINHi) of TA MH SALEUOMENA.
> What is not shaken abides, what is shaken is removed.
>

> Carl W. Conrad

(Sorry for a typo in copying the transliterated text.)

As I am down with you, my question needs to be flipped around as a
lexicographical question:

Why does BDAG cite this Heb 12:27 as an example of (2)?

Source New Testament by Ann Nyland renders it as 'transference', which
itself is not understandable. She puts a footnote there, saying <not
'removal'>.

Oun Kwon.