[B-Greek] Putting Greek (and Hebrew) into a web page

Barry nebarry at verizon.net
Tue Jul 27 18:55:43 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kenneth Litwak" <javajedi2 at yahoo.com>
To: <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 6:30 PM
Subject: [B-Greek] Putting Greek (and Hebrew) into a web page

>  I need to put a line in a web page that includes the abstract of someone
> else's article that contains
> Hebrew word, Greek word, Hebrew word, Greek word
>
> I've never put anything but English into a web page.  While I know that
> Unicode can do this, I'm familiar with how.  What would be the easiest way
> to get a couple of words from the LXX into a web page?  I was under the
> impression that I needed to use UTF-8 encoding but it seems the toll I"m
> sing Microsoft Visual Studio, won't allow that because if I change to
> that, it removes the Unicode words I inserted!  Any suggestions? I should
> note that I can never see Greek when someone posts it here. I only get
> long lines of question marks, so not even my browser, Firefox, seems happy
> about other languages.  Thanks.

With regard to reading the emails on this list, make sure that your email
client or browser is set to UTF-8 unicode, and that you are using a unicode
compliant font such as Tahoma.  You should be able to see Greek fine.

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Classics and Bible Instructor, TAA
http://www.theamericanacademy.net
(2010 Savatori Excellence in Education Winner)
Mentor, TNARS
http://www.tnars.net

http://mysite.verizon.net/nebarry