[B-Greek] Marcion on Matthew 5:17

Mark Lightman lightmanmark at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 27 10:56:38 EDT 2010

Michael egrapse:

<The Greek text is according to a so-called Adamantius' Dialogue Against
Marcion,
 cited from Tischendorf's Critical Apparatus. I think this  "Adamantius" was
quoting what Marcion had supposedly said when he  intentionally distorted
Matthew 5:17.>

Hi, Michael,

It may be that Marcion was not so much intentionally distorting Mt 5:17 as he
was
paraphrasing Romans 10:4

τέλος γὰρ νόμου Χριστὸς εἰς δικαιοσύνην παντὶ τῷ πιστεύοντι.
TELOS GAR NOMOU CRISTOW EIS DIKAIOSUNHN TWi PISTEUONTI

wherein Paul himself may be quoting a logion of Jesus in which TELOS means
destruction as much as fulfillment.

Harnack said that Marcion was the only Christian ever to understand Paul, even
if he misunderstood him.

 Mark L

FWSFOROS MARKOS