[B-Greek] Marcion on Matthew 5:17

Michael Baber illuminatiaries at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 26 18:41:29 EDT 2010

The Greek text of Marcion's commentary on Matthew 5:17 states,

[τοῦτο οἱ ἰουδαϊσταὶ ἔγραγαν], τό οὐκ ἠλθον καταλῦσαι τὸν νόμον ἀλλὰ πληρῶσαι. οὐχ οὕτως δὲ εἶπεν ὁ χς., λέγει γάρ. οὐκ ἦλθον πληρῶσαι τ. νόμ. ἀλλὰ καταλῦσαι

[TOUTO hOI IOUDAISTAI ERGANAN], TO OUK HLTHON KATALUSAI TON NOMON ALLA PLEROSAI. OUK hOUTOS DE EIPEN hO XRISTOS, LEGEI GAR. OUK HLTHON PLEROSAI TON NOMON ALLA KATALUSAI.

I was wondering what the translation of the bracketed [] section is, i.e. "TOUTO hOI IOUDAISATAI ERGANAN."

Here is my translation excluding the portion in question.

[TOUTO hOI IOUDAISTAI ERGANAN.] He who did not come to destroy the Law but rather to fulfill. But, Jesus Christ did not say in thus manner/ so. For, he declared, "I did not come to fulfill the Law, but rather, to destroy."

If someone could proof-read my translation and tell me what is incorrect, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.