[B-Greek] Augment in participle (John 1:6)

Barry nebarry at verizon.net
Sun Jul 25 17:39:17 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Murray Hogg" <muzhogg at netspace.net.au>
To: "B-Greek List" <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2010 5:05 PM
Subject: [B-Greek] Augment in participle (John 1:6)

> Dear B-Greekers,
>
> I'm puzzled by the construction of the perfect participle of apostellw
> (ἀποστέλλω) in John 1:6.
>
> Here the word is rendered apestalmenos (ἀπεσταλμένος).
>
> However, I understood that only the indicative takes the augment, so I
> would have expected apostalmenos (ἀποσταλμένος).
>
> Clearly I'm missing something and I was hoping that somebody might be able
> to suggest what that might be.

G'day, mate...

Did I say that right?  :)

This is not an augment, but reduplication.  "Verbs begining with a vowel, or
with a double consonant, or with two more consonants other than a mute and a
liquid, have a reduplication identical with augment."  (C&S p. 174).

One of my Greek prof's in college sometimes called it "spurious augment,"
thought I've never seen or heard the terminology anwywhere else.

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Classics and Bible Instructor, TAA
http://www.theamericanacademy.net
(2010 Savatori Excellence in Education Winner)
Mentor, TNARS
http://www.tnars.net

http://mysite.verizon.net/nebarry