[B-Greek] Titus 2:13

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 25 14:08:50 EDT 2010

1, 2 and 6 are incorrect.

2.6. The GranvilleSharpRule
In the early nineteenth century, GranvilleSharpdeveloped a rule (one of several)
regarding use of the article with substantives in NT Greek. Unfortunately, this
rule has been widely misunderstood. GranvilleSharp’s rule states simply that if
a single article links two or more singular substantives (excluding personal
names), the second and subsequent substantives are related to or further
describe the first.2
Eph. 3.18: τὸ πλάτος καὶ μῆκος καὶ ὕψος καὶ βάθος(the breadth and length and
height and depth), with four units of measure joined together.
Acts 26.30: ὁ βασιλεὺς καὶ ὁ ἡγεμών(the king and the governor), where the king
and the governor are separate people.
There are some examples which are not covered by Sharp’s rule.
Jn 20.28: ὁ κύριός μου καὶ ὁ θεός μου(my lord and my God), where the article is
repeated for the same individual. Sharp’s rule does not address instances where
items with individual articles may be equated.
Mt. 17.1: τὸν Πέτρον καὶ Ἰάκωβον καὶ Ἰωάννην τὸν ἀδελφὸν αὐτοῦ(Peter and James
and John his brother), where one article covers several personal names; cf. Mk
9.2, where an article precedes each name. Sharp’s rule does not apply to
personal names.
Several significant difficulties with Sharp’s rule have arisen. One difficulty
is the resistance by some to the implications of his analysis for treatment of
certain passages.
Tit. 2.13: τῆς δόξης τοῦ μεγάλου θεοῦ καὶ σωτῆρος ἡμῶν Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ; cf. also 2
Pet. 1.1, 11; 2.20; 3.18; Eph. 5.20. Should this passage be translated ‘the
glory of our great God and Saviour, Jesus Christ’ (a statement with
christological implications), or ‘the glory of the great God and of our saviour,
Jesus Christ,’ or ‘the glory of our great God, namely our saviour Jesus Christ’?
Grammarians and commentators have differed in opinion, with Moulton and
Robertson2 opting for the first on the basis of parallels in the papyri, as
well as the application of Sharp’s rule, and with Winer3 arguing for the
second on theological grounds.
Porter, S. E. (1999). Idioms of the Greek New Testament (110). Sheffield: JSOT.
 george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
defend the truth till death.