[B-Greek] Eph. 2:15 KTIZW

Jeff Smelser jeffsmelser at ntgreek.net
Fri Jul 23 17:38:17 EDT 2010

ἵνα τοὺς δύο κτίσῃ ἐν αὑτῷ εἰς ἕνα καινὸν ἄνθρωπον
hINA TOUS DUO KTISHi EN AUTWi EIS hENA KAINON ANQRWPON

To my eye, the use of KTIZW here seems to come close to our expression
"make [something] into [something]";

"...that in himself he might make/form the two into one new man"

However, I don't see any clear precedent anywhere for such a use of KTIZW.

Really, I suppose the question becomes the function of EIS. The
alternative would seem to be to take EIS in a final sense,
"...that in himself he might create the two for one new man."
(compare Sirach 39:29, ἔστιν πνεύματα ἃ εἰς ἐκδίκησιν ἔκτισται...πάντα
ταῦτα εἰς εκδίκησιν ἔκτισται, ESTIN PNEUMATA hA EIS EKDIKHSIN
EKTISTAI...PANTA TAUTA EIS EKDIKHSIN EKTISTAI)
I see a problem with that, if for no other reason, simply because the
point of the context isn't that Christ created Jews and Gentiles, but
that he created the one new man.  It's also worth noting that Paul has
just previously (vs. 10) used EPI with KTIZW in this final sense.

Does anyone know of other occurrences of KTIZW with EIS that might shed
light on this?
Is anyone aware of KTIZW being used in the sense of "make [something]
into [something]"?

Jeff Smelser