[B-Greek] 1 Peter 1:11 "spirit of Christ" NWT

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 23 10:01:06 EDT 2010

It seems apparent that what the NWT has done here is to construe
Χριστοῦ XRISTOU with προμαρτυρόμενον PROMARTUROMENON rather than with πνεῦμα so
that they construe it as "indicating concerning Christ."  Some words do seem to
require being completed by the genitive.  It is necessary to determine what the
usage is with this particular verb.  Unfortunately, this is a very rare word.
M&M states
προμαρτύρομαι
"summon (God) beforehand to witness," "call beforehand to witness." Hort 1 Pet
1:11 states that this verb is unknown elsewhere except in Theodorus Metochita,
about a.d. 1300; but we can now add P Lond IV. 135632 (a.d. 710)

Moulton, James Hope and George Milligan. The Vocabulary of the Greek Testament.
London: Hodder and Stoughton, 1930.

It does not seem to me that this verb requires the genitive in such a fashion.
Note the [αὐτοὺς εἰ]ς [AUTOUS EI]S which is the acc (not gen) complement.

 4303προμαρτυρόμενος [αὐτοὺς εἰ]ς τὸ σχεῖν τὸν φόβον̣ τοῦ Θεοῦ πρὸ
ὀφθαλμῶν. george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
defend the truth till death.