[B-Greek] Spiritual psalms, hymns and songs?--Ephesians 5:19; Colossians 3:16‏

Leonard Jayawardena leonardj at live.com
Fri Jul 23 00:03:38 EDT 2010

> From: nebarry at verizon.net
> To: leonardj at live.com; sarah.r.madden at gmail.com; dlpost at comcast.net
> CC: b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org
> Subject: Re: [B-Greek] Spiritual psalms, hymns and songs?--Ephesians 5:19; Colossians 3:16‏
> Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 07:10:20 -0400

LJ: Grammar can only tell us the two possibilities of translating the phrase in question: "spiritual psalms, hymns and songs" or "psalms, hymns and spiritual songs." My post takes the discussion beyond the grammar to show that the latter translation results in the use of the adjective PNEUMATIKH in a way incomprehensible--and even meaningless--given what the three words involved, viz., YALMOS, hUMNOS and WiDH, meant to Paul and his readers in the first century as seen from a study of the use of these words and related verb forms in the LXX and the New Testament. Most of the post taken up with that exercise, which is, I think, relevant to B-Greek.

On the positive side, I have briefly explained what the two passages say if the phrase in question is rendered "spiritual psalms, hymns and songs." That, too, is not rrelevent to B-Greek, is it?

Leonard Jayawardena