[B-Greek] Spiritual psalms, hymns and songs?--Ephesians 5:19; Colossians 3:16‏

Barry nebarry at verizon.net
Thu Jul 22 07:10:20 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Leonard Jayawardena" <leonardj at live.com>
To: <sarah.r.madden at gmail.com>; <dlpost at comcast.net>
Cc: <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2010 5:21 AM
Subject: [B-Greek] Spiritual psalms, hymns and songs?--Ephesians 5:19;
Colossians 3:16‏

> Now that we have got any grammatical objection to translating "YALMOIS
> (KAI) hUMNOIS (KAI) WiDAIS PNEUMATIKAIS as "spiritual psalms, hymns and
> songs" out of the way--as George F. Somsel mentioned, Robertson cites DWRA
> TE KAI QUSIAI MH DUNAMENAI (Heb. 9:9), where the adjective takes the
> gender of the last noun, which is feminine--the path is clear for me to
> show that the translation "spiritual psalms, hymns and songs" better
> expresses the apostle Paul's intention.

You're right -- it is a possible understanding, but whether it's correct or
not has to be determined on other grounds.  I'm not sure that the rest of
your discussion is really relevant to b-Greek, though bits of it might be.

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Classics and Bible Instructor, TAA
http://www.theamericanacademy.net
(2010 Savatori Excellence in Education Winner)
Mentor, TNARS
http://www.tnars.net

http://mysite.verizon.net/nebarry