[B-Greek] hUPOMONH and hWDE in REV (Was: The Use of the Greek Participle in Rev 17:7)

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 21 14:28:02 EDT 2010

Fine.  Ὧδε ἐστιν hWDE ESTIN never has the sense "there is a need for" as Iver
has suggested.  Rather, it functions similarly to a colon in English.   hWDE
ESTIN thus points either to something which has just been stated or to something
which is about to be stated.  Thus in Re 13.10 it points to the preceeding
statement --

10εἴ τις εἰς αἰχμαλωσίαν, εἰς αἰχμαλωσίαν ὑπάγει·
εἴ τις ἐν μαχαίρῃ ἀποκτανθῆναι αὐτὸν ἐν μαχαίρῃ ἀποκτανθῆναι.

EI TIS EN MAXAIRHi APOKTANQHNAI AUTON EIN MAXAIRHi APWKTANQHNAI.

In Re 13.18, however, it points to that which our author then states
ὁ ἔχων νοῦν ψηφισάτω τὸν ἀριθμὸν τοῦ θηρίου, ἀριθμὸς γὰρ ἀνθρώπου ἐστίν, καὶ ὁ
ἀριθμὸς αὐτοῦ ἑξακόσιοι ἑξήκοντα ἕξ.
hO EXWN NOUN YHFISATW TON ARIQMON TOU QHRIOU, ARIQMOS GAR ANQRWPOU ESTIN, KAI hO
ARIQMOS AUTOU hECAKOSIOI hECHKONTA hEC.

In the one case he states that the expection of the Church is that one's "fate"
is determined by God and will be effected.  In the other case he points to the
"number" of the Beast which is stated to be "the number of man" which is a
triple 6 representing the day of man's creation repeated three times in mockery
of the Trinity thus depicting the Beast as being the elevation of man to the
place of God.

 george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,