[B-Greek] The Use of the Greek Participle in Rev 17:7

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Wed Jul 21 05:58:40 EDT 2010

On Jul 21, 2010, at 5:44 AM, John Calvin Hall wrote:

> Ah!
>
> Now, the question begs...  What is the difference between BASTAZW and
> hUPOMENW?
>
> Excellent post.  Thank you!

You really ought to consult a lexicon to answer that sort of question.
BASTAZW means "hold up" or "carry", while hUPOMENW means "withstand" or "endure" or "stay the course."
But BDAG, s.v. BASTAZW 2.b.β. "be able to bear up under especially trying or oppressive circumstances bear, endure" We speak sometimes of being able to "carry the load" or "bear the burden.